Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Thirukolur Pen pillai ragasiyam


Thirukolur  Pen pillai ragasiyam
The private secret of a lady of Thirukolur

Translated by
P.R.Ramachander



(This is one of classic work of Tamil Nadu  Vaishnavism , where   an ordinary  lady summarized the principles of Vaishnaviam. THirukolur   is a temple town on  the banks of Tambraparni river    and is in Thoothukudi district .Once upon a time it was thickly populated by scholarly  Sri Vaishnavas and every Vaishnava   thought that he should visit that place . When saint Ramanuja was entering Thirukolur one lady whose profession was “selling curds “ was leaving Thirukolur.  Sain Ramanuja was surprised  and told her, “ Even if seven people are made share the cloth of one and are struggling to get food”, they try to enter Thirukolur     and the lady of Thirukolur told him  that eighty one great   actions  were done earlier    and she    was not capable of doing  even one such action     and so she felt she is not fit to live in Thirukolur   and  was leaving” Thirukolur”. Later she became a disciple  of Saint Ramanuja
    The secrets contain several incidents in life  of Lord Rama, and Lord Krishna and several great    acts  of great vaishnavite saints and householders.  I have not given detailed commentary and detailed story behind each obe of the eighty one    sentences.  These   are available on line besides    lectures  of the work   given in several installments.
Read   further   to understand them:-

அந்த 81 வாக்கியங்கள்....
Those eight one   sentences….

 
1.அழைத்து வருகிறேன் என்றோனோ அக்ரூரரைப் போலே!
Azhaithu varugiren  endreno  Akroorai polae
Did I tell “I would bring Krishna and Balarama  “ Like  sage Akroora to Kamsa.

2. அகமொழித்து விட்டேனோ விதுரரைப்போலே!
Agam ozithu  vitteno Vidurarai  Poale
Did I open up my  mind , like Vidhura  did , to Lord Krishna, when Krishna visited  Hasthinapura

3. தேகத்தை விட்டேனோ ரிஷி பதினியைப் போலே!
Dekathai  vitteno  m Rishi pathiniyai poale
Did I sacrifice my body likes the   wives of sages  when Krishna   asked for food.

4. தசமுகனைச் செற்றேனோ பிராட்டியைப் போலே!
Dasamukhanai   chetheno  Pirattiyai poale
Did I ignore   Ravana   like Goddess  Sita

5. பிணமெழுப்பி விட்டேனோ தொண்டைமானைப்போலே!
Pinamezhuppi  vitteno  THondai mania poale
Did I just  like King Thondaiman wake up the corpses  of the family  of Krishna Sharma

6. பிணவிருந்திட்டேனோ கண்டாகர்ணனைப்போலே!
Pina virunthitteno  HGandakarnanai poale
Did I offer  a feast of corpses  to Lord Krishna  , like Gandakarna    to get Moksha

7. தாய்கோலம் செய்தேனோ அனுசூயையைப் போலே!
THaikolam   cheitheno  Abusuyayai  poale
Did I assume   the role of mother to Trimurthy’s like   Sathi Anasooya

8. தந்தை எங்கே என்றேனோ துருவனைப்போலே!
THanthai yenge yendreno  Druvanai poale
Did I ask my mother , “Where  is my father”  like Druva

9. மூன்றெழுத்து சொன்னேனோ க்ஷத்ரபந்துவைப்போலே!
Moondrezuthu   chonneno  kshatra bandhuvai poale
Did I chant the   three lettered  name” Govinda  “ as per  the sages advice and was born as Brahmin in next birth

10.முதலடியை பெற்றேனோ அகலிகையைப் போலே!
Mudhal   adiyai  petheno, akalikayai poale
Was I touched by the   first  foot step of  Rama like Sathi Ahalya   and got out of my curse

11.பிஞ்சாய்ப் பழுத்தேனோ ஆண்டாளைப் போலே!
Pinjai  pazhutheno  AAndaalai poale
Did I become a fruit without ripening  like Aandal   who started loving God   even as a child

12.எம்பெருமான் என்றேனோ பட்டர்பிரானைப் போலே!
Yem perumaan   yendreno  Bhattar piranai poale
Like Periyaazhvar    who was blessed  by Lord Narayana and became a great poet, did I call   the God as my lord.

13.ஆராய்ந்து விட்டேனோ திருமழிசையார் போலே!
AArainthu   vitteno   thiruvmazhisayaar  poale
Did I like  Thirumazhisai aazhvar   learnt other system of relegions and left them to become a  Srivaishnavite

14.அவன் சிறியனென்றேனோ அழ்வாரைப் போலே!
Avan   chiriyamendreno Aazhvaarai poale
Like the great Pundit THirumazhisai Aazhvar   did I refer  myself as a small person with humility

15.ஏதேனும் என்றேனோ குலசேகரரைப் போலே!
Yethenum   endreno Kula shekararai poale
Did I pray like Kulashekara Aazhvar to be born as anything  on the Thirumala mountains

16.யான் சத்யம் என்றேனோ அழ்வாரைப் போலே!
Yaan   sathyam   yendreno  AAzhvaarai poale
Did I say that  “Lord Krishna as  personification of truth “ like   all Vishnu   devotees

17.அடையாளம் சொன்னேனோ கபந்தனைப் போலே!
Adayaalam chonneno   Kabandhanai  poale
Did I like Kabanda who after   being killed by Rama  got rid of his curse   and told him about   who kidnapped Sita   and where she is

18.அந்தரங்கம் சொன்னேனோ திரிஜடையைப் போலே!
Antharangam    chonneno  Trijadayai poale
Did I tell like Trijada the  private  truths of Ravana to Sita

19.அவன் தெய்வம் என்றேனோ மண்டோதரியைப் போலே!
Avan deivam yendreno Mandodhariyai poale
Did I like Mandodari  understand  the incarnation of Rama and told Ravana   that  Rama is God

20.அஹம் வேத்மி என்றேனோ விஸ்வாமித்திரரைப் போலே!
Aham Vedmi    rndreno  Viswamithrarai poale
Did I like sage Viswamithra tell Dasaratha   that I know    about  Lord Rama

21.தேவுமற்றரியேனோ மதுரகவியாரைப் போலே
THevymathru  ariyeno  Madura  Kavi Rayarai poala
Did I demonstrate  My BHakthi to Guru  and God like  Madura  Kavi rayar

22.தெய்வத்தை பெற்றேனோ தேவகியைப் போலே!
Deivathai pethreno  Devakiyai poale
Did I give birth to God    like Devaki

23.ஆழிமறை என்றேனோ வசுதேவரைப் போலே!
AAzhimarai   yendreno  Vasudevarai poale
Did I ask God to  hide his  vedic form  of the sea   and  become like a baby  , Like Vasudeva

24.ஆயனை(னாய்) வளர்த்தேனோ யசோதையைப் போலே!
AAyanai  Valartheno  Yasodayai poale
Did I bring up a cowherd like  Yasoda

25.அநுயாத்திரை செய்தேனோ அணிலங்கனைப் போலே!
Anuyathirai    cheitheno  Anilanganai  poale
Did I   go along with the  monkeys to build a bridge  like the squirrel

26.அவல் பொரியை ஈந்தேனோ குசேலரைப் போலே!
Aval poriyai eendheno  KUchelarai poale
Did I offer Lord Krishna  , the  puffed beaten rice  like Kuchela

27.ஆயுதங்கள் ஈந்தேனோ அகஸ்தியரைப் போலே!
AAyudhangal eendheo  Agasthyarai poale
Dir I give weapons    to Rama  like Sage Agasthya

28.அந்தரங்கம் புக்கேனோ சஞ்சயனைப் போலே!
Andharangam  pakkeno  SAnjayanai  poale
Was I able to see   hidden secret incidents like  Sanjaya

29.கர்மத்தால் பெற்றேனோ ஜநகரைப் போலே!
Karmathaal  pethreno  Janakarai  POale
Did I get  to the Lord due to Karma yoga  like king Janaka

30.கடித்து அவனைக் கண்டேனோ திருமங்கயாரைப் போலே!
Kadithu   avanai  kandeno  thirumangayaarai poale
Did I steal    and then saw    the Lord  Vishnu  like Thirumangau aazhvar

31.குடை முதலானதானேனோ ஆனந்தால்ழ்வான் போலே!
Kudai  mudhalaanath aaneno  Aanandaazhvaan poale
Did I do any service like protecting you from sun and rain like  AAdhisesha

32.கொண்டு திரிந்தேனோ திருவடியைப் போலே!
Kondu thirintheno thiruvadiyai poale
Did  I carry the lord   to various places   like Garuda

33.இளைப்பு விடாய் தீர்தேனோ நம்பாடுவான் போலே!
Ilaippu vidaai   theertheno   nampaaduvaan poale
Did I give the  benefit of singing  one prayer to God  like nampudayaan so that  the Brahmarakshas  is liberated

34.இடைக்கழியில் கண்டேனோ முதலாழ்வார்களைப் போலே!
Idaikazhiyil  kandeno  mudhal aazhvaarkalai poale
Did I   took shelter  from rain   in a  very small room   like the first three  Aazhvars (poygai azhvar, bhoothathu aazhvar   and Peyaazhvar)  In Thirukovalur

35.இருமன்னரைப் பெற்றேனோ வால்மீகரைப் போலே!
Iru mannarai pethreno Valmikarai poale
Did I get two kings(Lava and Kusha)   to nurture  like sage Valmiki

36.இருமாலை ஈந்தேனோ தொண்டரடிப்போடியார் போலே!
Irumaalai eentheno  thondaradi podiyaar poale
Did I  present   the lord with two garlands(one of flower   and another of words)  like thondar adi podi yaazhvaar

37.அவனுரைக்க பெற்றேனோ திருக்கசியார் போலே!
Avanuraikka pathreno   Thirukachiyaar poale
Was I lucky to converse   with Lord of Kancipuram like Thiru kachi nambikal

38.அவன்மேனி ஆனேனோ திருப்பாணரைப் போலே!
Avan meni aaneno thirupanazhvarai poale
Did I merge with the body of God like Thirupanazhvar   who was carried inside the temple  on the shoulders  by the  temple priest

39.அனுப்பி வையுமேன்றேனோ வசிஷ்டரைப் போலே!
Anuppi vattumendreno  Vasishtarai poale
Did I tell Dasaratha   to send Rama and Lakshmana   along with sage Viswamithra   like sage Vasishta

40.அடி வாங்கினேனோ கொங்கில் பிராட்டியைப் போலே!
Adi vaangineno  kongil  pirattiyai   poale
Did I get the slippers of Ramanuja    for worship like Kongil piratti

41.மண்பூவை இட்டேனோகுரவ நம்பியைப் போலே!
Man poovai  yitteno  kurava namiyai poale
Did I worship you with flowers made of mud like  Kurava Nambi  of Kuravapuram near Thirupathi

42.மூலமென்றழைத்தேனோ கஜராஜனைப் போலே!
Moolam yendru azhaitheno gaja Rajanai poale
Did I call you, “Oh Adhi moola (primeval  source )”  like the king of elephants

43.பூசக் கொடுத்தேனோ கூனியைப் போலே!
Poosa kodutheno  kooniyai poale
Did I offer you sandal paste to apply like the hunch backed lady of Mathura

44.பூவைக் கொடுத்தேனோ மாலாகாரரைப் போலே!
Poovai  kodutheno  maalaakaararai  poale
Did I offer flowers to you in mAthura   when you wanted it like  Sudhama  the flower merchant

45.வைத்தவிடத்து இருந்தேனோ பரதரைப் போலே!
Vaithavisathu iruntheno  Baratharai poale
Did I stay in the same place where your sandals were  kept like Bharatha

46.வழி அடிமை செய்தேனோ இலக்குவணனைப் போலே!
Vazhi adimai   cheitheno  Ilakkuvananai poale
Did I follow Rama  like a slave    for  the way like Lakshmana

47.அக்கரைக்கே விட்டேனோ குகப்பெருமாளைப் போலே!
Akkaraikku vitteno  Guha perumaalai poale
Did I leave Rama on the other shore of the ganges like Guha

48.அரக்கனுடன் பொருதேனோ பெரியவுடயாரைப் போலே!
Arakkanudan  porutheno  Periya udayarai poale
Did I fight    with Ravana  Like Jatayu to save  Sita

49.இக்கரைக்கே செற்றேனோ விபீஷணனைப் போலே!
Ikkaraikku chetheno  Vibheeshananai poale
Did I cross the ocean and approach Lord Rama like  Vibheeshana

50.இனியதென்று வைத்தேனோ சபரியைப் போலே!
Iniiyathendruu vaitheno  Sabariyai poale
Did  I  save the sweet fruits for offering to Rama  like Sabari

51.இங்கும் உண்டென்றேனோ பிரஹலாதனைப் போலே!
Ingum undu endreno  Prahlaadhanai poale
Did I say  that “Narayana  is here also”  like Prahladha

52.இங்கில்லை என்றேனோ திதிபாண்டனைப் போலே!
Ingillai yendreno  thithipandanai poale
Did I tell that  “baby Krishna “ is not here  like the Dhadhipanda   the curd merchant to save Krishna

53.காட்டுக்குப் போனேனோ பெருமாளைப் போலே!
Kattukku poaneno  Pereumalai poale
Did I go to the forest   like Lord Rama

54.கண்டுவந்தேன் என்றேனோ திருவடியைப் போலே!
Kandu vandhen endreno thiruvadiyai poale
Did I say to Rama, “I have seen her  and have come back” like Hanuman

55.இருகையும் விட்டேனோ திரௌபதியைப் போலே!
Iru kayyum vitteno Draupadhiyai poale
Did I leave both hands holding my Sari and raised them up to call Krishna like Draupadhi

56.இங்குபால் பொங்கும் என்றேனோ வடுகனம்பியைப் போலே!
Ingu paal pongum   yendreno  Vaduka  Nambiyai poale
Did I  like Vaduga Nambi did not go to see  Ramanuja saying   that milk is boiling

57.இருமிடறு பிடித்தேனோ செல்வப்பிள்ளையைப் போலே!
Iru midaru piditheno   chelva pillayai poale
Did I hug and embrace   the idol  of the lord Selvapillai  , like RAmanuja when  the God   came out of the room of the Mohamedan princes

58.நில்லென்று(னப்) பெற்றேனோ இடையற்றூர்நம்பியைப் போலே!
Nillendru (nap) pethreno   idayathoor  nambiyai poale
Was I made to stand in the same place  by Rangaraja  , when Idayathoor nambi became old  but wanted   to see him daily

59.நெடுந்தூரம் போனேனோ நாதமுனியைப் போலே!
Nedum dhooram  poneni  Nada muniyai poale
Did I go like sage Natha muni to a long  distance in search of  two men and a lady with a monkey , thinking that  they were Rama, Sita, Lakshmana    and Hanuman

60.அவன் போனான் என்றேனோ மாருதியாண்டான் போலே!
Avan ponaan   yendreno  maruthi yaandaan poale
Like Maruthiyaandan did I bring the news  from Sri Rangam to Ramanuja  that the tyrant Chozha king is no more.

61.அவன் வேண்டாம் என்றேனோ அழ்வானைப் போலே!
Avan vendaam yendreno  AAzhvaanai poale
Did I say like Koorathaazhvaan that   he did not want even to see Lord Ranganatha  unless   his relation with saint Ramanuja is recognized

62.அத்வைதம் வென்றேனோ எம்பெருமானாரைப் போலே!
Advaitham vendreno yem perumaanarai poale
Did I argue and win over followers  of Advaitha  like Saint Ramanuja

63.அருளாழங் கண்டேனோ நல்லானைப் போலே!
Arulaazham kandeno   nallanai poale
Did I do to the depth of grace of  the Lord when he  termed SRiman narayana a devotee as   the emperor among good people (nallan Chakravarthi)   when he cremated a corpse  just becaue he was Vaishnava

64.அனந்தபுரம் புக்கேனோ ஆளவந்தாரைப் போலே!
Ananthapuram pukkeno  Aalavandhaarai  poale
Did I go to see  Anathapadmanabha swami at trivandum due to command of God like Aalavandhaar

65.ஆரியனைப் பிரிந்தேனோ தெய்வவாரியாண்டானைப் போலே!
AAriyanai pirintheno   Deiva vaariyaandaanai poale
Did I like  Deiva variyandan   who was left behind pining   for meeting my Acharaya  Alavandhar

66.அந்தாதி சொன்னேனோ அமுதனாரைப் போலே!
Anthathi chonneno  amudanaarai poale
Did I like Amudhanaar  (periya koil Nambi) write Andathi   at the command of his Guru who did not want to be praised.

67.அனுகூலம் சொன்னேனோ மால்ய்வானைப் போலே!
Anukoolam chonneno  Malyavanai poale
Did I say favourable words   to   support Rama  and stop the war  to Ravana like his grand father  Malyavan

68.கள்வனிவன் என்றேனோ லோககுருவைப் போலே!
Kalvan ivan yendreno   Loka    guruvai poale
Did I say that lord Vishnu is a thief like the great devotees who were   world teachers

69.கடலோசை என்றேனோ பெரியநம்பியைப் போலே!
Kadal osai endreno  Periya nambiyai poale
Did I say that  all great devotees of Vishnu are like ocean and  all their words are   sound of the ocean, like periya Nambi   who   was referring to  Maraneri Nambi

70.சுற்றிக்கிடந்தேனோ திருமாலையாண்டான் போலே!
Chuthi kidantheno Thirumaalayaandanai poale
Did I  always surrounf Saind Ramanauja   and was with him being convinced that he is god

71.சூலுறவு கொண்டேனோ திருக்கோட்டியூரார் போலே!
Chool uravu   kondeno  thirukottiyooraar poale
Did  I develop a very strict relation with Ramanuja    like Thirukoshti Nambi , who made   Ramanuja take a vow that   he would not teach  what he learnt   to others

72.உயிராய பெற்றேனோ ஊமையைப் போலே!
Uyiraaya  pethreno   oomayai poale
Did  I   get the divine grace from Saint Ramanuja  like his follower who cannot speak.

73.உடம்பை வெறுத்தேனோ திருனறையூரார் போலே!
Udambai  verutheno   thirunarayoorrar   poale
Like  Thirunaraiyooraar did I sacrifice my body to protect the  Archa roopa of God   in Thottiyam

74.என்னைப்போல் என்றேனோ உபரிசரனைப் போலே!
Yennai poal yendreno   uparicharanai poale
Did I   like King Uparichara   say that  all beings are like me   and have the right to live

75.யான் சிறியன் என்றேனோ திருமலைநம்பியைப் போலே!
Yaan chiriyen yendreno   thirumalai nambiyai poale
Did  I   like Thirumalai nimbi , say that  I searched all over the mountain but could not see  a being   inferior to me

76.நீரில் குதித்தேனோ கணப்புரதாளைப் போலே!
Neeril  kuditheno   Kanapurathaalai poale
Did I jump in to Cauvery   from the boat  to die   when the river was in floods so that I can save  sage Nampillai

77.நீரோருகம் கொண்டேனோ காசிசிங்கனைப் போலே!
Neerorukam  koneno  kasi   singanai poale
Did I pray to the Lord and summon him   like Singan of Kasi who worshipped the lord with lotus flowers

78.வாக்கினால் வென்றேனோ பட்டரைப் போலே!
Vaakinaal vendreno  Battarai  poale
Like Parasara Bhattar did I win over   great scholars   by his  power of words

79.வாயிற் கையிட்டேனோ எம்பாரைப் போலே!
Vaayir  kayyitteno  Embarai poale
Did I remove the thorn from the toungue of the snake   by putting  my   hand in its mouth like Embar

80.தோள் காட்டி வந்தேனோ பட்டரைப் போலே!
Thol  kaatti vandheno  vandheno  bhattarai poale
Did I show my other shoulder  to a hit by a belt when by mistake   the belt of the man clearing the crowd hit   my  other shoulder.

81.துறை வேறு செய்தேனோ பகவரைப் போலே!
Thurai   veru  cheitheno   bhagavarai poale
Did I like Bhagvar go to another Ghat   to do the   morning prayers as  I  was doing it in the service of Narayana and others   were doing it   because of their  caste.





No comments: